How to Keep My Basement Dry
Basements in Ohio homes can be incredibly vulnerable to flooding and water damage. If left unaddressed, water seepage, leaks, flooding and other water issues can lead to major issues like property damage, water damage and indoor mold growth. In order to protect your Cleveland property from major water damage and basement mold growth, homeowners should conduct routine maintenance and monitor for potential signs of moisture. Maintaining a dry basement will go a long in preventing costly future repairs.
Maintenance Tips to Keep a Dry Basement
- Clean & Maintain Gutters & Downspouts— Water needs to be directed away from the building structure, so all your gutters and downspouts should be clean and clear of all debris and/or obstructions. Ohio homeowners should conduct routine checks to make sure gutters are effectively draining into downspouts that effectively direct water a safe distance away from the building structure.
- Check Grading— Again, water should always direct away from the building structure. Cleveland homeowners should pay close attention to the direction of water flow during periods of heavy rain. Your landscape and hardscape should slope away from your home and your foundation walls. If you notice consistent pooling near your foundation walls during periods of heavy rain, contact a landscaper or excavation contractor for advice on how to direct the water away from your home.
- Assess Foundation— Foundation walls can be vulnerable to seepage and damage without the proper maintenance. It is important to regularly assess your foundation walls from the outside, and your basement walls from the inside to identify and address any signs of damage. Look for any cracks, masonry damage, or interior signs in our main living space.
- Pay Attention to Drainage— Make sure that you have sufficient drainage in your basement and around your foundation. Homeowners should conduct routine checks to make sure that all basement drains are clean and free of debris to ensure effective drainage.
- Check Window Wells— If your basement windows are installed below grade, be sure to check the window wells around them. Properly constructed window wells will provide good drainage at the bottoms. It is important to keep window wells clean and free of debris to prevent clogs and water buildup. Cleveland OH homeowners should also check that the sides of all window wells are sealed tightly against the foundation wall.
- Assess for Leaks— Leaks should be addressed immediately. Check for leaks regularly to identify a problem before it has the chance to do too much damage. Routinely check for water leaks in your basement ceiling from the levels above. Check all HVAC components and plumbing systems running through the basement for leaks or condensation.
- De-Clutter the Basement— Clutter restricts air flow in a basement and can promote moisture buildup with time. By purging some basement contents and organizing the rest, homeowners can optimize air circulation. It can be helpful to store contents away from foundation walls so that moisture doesn’t collect behind the contents against the walls.
- Installing a Dehumidifier— Humidity is one of the most common moisture problems found in Ohio basements. Indoor humidity of basement should be kept below 50%. A properly rated basement dehumidifier can help to keep your Ohio basement dry. Be sure to pick a basement dehumidifier that is properly rated for the size of the space.
- Consider Waterproofing Options— If your basement is below ground level and is prone to moisture intrusion and seepage, it may require additional basement waterproofing measure to help combat leaks or moisture buildup from groundwater. French drains, sump pumps, waterproofed walls and various methods can be beneficial. Homeowners should consult a professional waterproofing company for more information on the appropriate approach.
Basement Water Damage & Basement Mold in Cleveland Ohio Homes
Proper basement maintenance will go a long way in protecting your Cleveland Ohio property. Unaddressed moisture problems in basements can lead to serious basement water damage and basement mold growth. Basement water damage and basement mold growth can lead to significant property damage, diminished property value, structural damage and potential health implications. It is important for homeowners to take the necessary precautions to maintain a dry basement to prevent future problems.
If you suspect that moisture problems in your Cleveland Ohio basement could be contributing to mold development in your residential property, you should contact a professional basement mold inspection company in your Ohio area. A thorough mold inspection, conducted by a certified mold inspector in your Ohio area will help to determine if an underlying moisture problem has led to a bigger mold issue.