Simply put — NO, do not paint over mold. Mold is considered a bio-contaminate that needs to be actively removed from the contaminated surface. Additionally, you need to properly address the underlying moisture source that is ultimately causing and supporting the fungal growth.
Can I Paint Over Mold?
Applying a fresh coat of paint is a cosmetic choice — but mold is far more than a cosmetic problem. Yes, mold is unsightly, but that should be the least of your worries. Mold is an active organism that roots into your porous building materials and spreads. Improperly addressed mold will worsen and lead to serious property damage and potential health implications. Mold growth requires active removal, not just a fresh coat of paint.
When you paint over mold, it growth still exists underneath. Even worse, you are allowing the mold time to continue to germinate, spread and eventually leave you with an even bigger problem. With enough time, covered up mold will inevitably resurface and likely with a vengeance. The best approach to dealing with a mold problem is a proper mold remediation following safe and effective mold remediation protocols. Following removal, the moisture source that caused the mold in the first place needs to be properly addressed to prevent future regrowth.
Does “Mold-Proof” Paint “Kill” Mold?
Whether it is regular paint or mold-proof/mold-resistant paint — covering the mold with paint is not the right solution. Mold-proof/resistance paints are designed as preventative measures that will reduce the risk of developing mold in the first place. If you already have a mold problem, a coat of paint is not your friend. AFTER the mold spores and roots have been actively removed, a coat of mold-proof/resistance paint will help to prevent future re-growth.
It is important to keep in mind that active mold growth requires a proper cleanup. Once the mold has been effectively removed and indoor spore levels are restored to normal, a coat of mold-proof paint along with moisture control can aid prevention efforts and retard future mold growth. For Ohio homes without a mold problem, it would be a good opportunity to consider a coat of mold-proof paint as a a preventative measure in addition to assessing the property for opportunities for moisture control.
Consequences of Painting Over Mold
Covering up mold with a coat of paint is not the right way to handle a mold problem. Not only are you not fixing the problem, you are likely making things worse for your future self. Neglected or painted over mold will eventually resurface — and it will likely be worse than before. The only way to safely and effectively solve a mold problem is to active removal following proper mold remediation procedures. Additionally, you must identify causation and remove the water source. While not all cases of mold development require professional attention, serious mold growth may require the help of a professional Cleveland mold removal company.
If you choose not to properly address the mold growth and simply paint over it, you could be setting yourself up for future problems like the following:
1. Temporary Fix: A coat of paint applied over existing mold is a very temporary bandage for a much more serious problem the requires a mold more serious solution. If you choose to just paint over the mold — you are choosing to ignore the water source, and you choosing to leave spores and roots that will continue to germinate and spread under the paint. As long as the mold is still under the paint and the moisture still exists, the mold will eventually grow through the paint and leave you with an even bigger problem.
2. Worsening Conditions: Typically, mold problems only worsen with time if it is not properly addressed right away. Safe and effective mold remediation includes addressing the existing mold growth AND source identification. It is important to get to the bottom of the moisture source that is promoting fungal activity in your Cleveland property. As long as there is moisture, painted over mold will continue to feed on your building materials, germinate and spread to previously unaffected areas. Not only is painting over mold ineffective, with time, a minor problem can spread into a widespread mold contamination.
3. Costlier Repairs: As with most home repairs, the worse the problem, the more expensive the solution. If you are trying to save a few dollars by painting over mold in your Ohio home, just don’t do it. One — it is not an actual solution. Two — you are only delaying the inevitable. Usually when a Cleveland homeowner paints over mold, it is “out of sight, out of mind”… for now. If you discover that mold is growing through your paint, you probably have a pretty serious problem on your hands. All that time has allowed the mold problem under the paint to spread. The cost of remediation at that point is likely far more expensive than the cost of properly addressing the mold and moisture in the first place, at the time of discovery.
4. Health Implications: Mold spores, even painted over mold spores, have the potential to release mycotoxins that are potentially dangerous to humans. By painting over mold instead of properly removing it, South Jersey homeowners are just risking prolonged exposure to mold. The health implications potentially associated with elevated mold growth varies per individual. The only effective way to avoid getting sick from mold is to actively remove the mold growth and restore the indoor mold levels to normal.
When it comes to dealing with indoor mold growth, there is just no substitute for mold remediation. If you discover a potential mold problem in your Ohio home or business, don’t just cover it up with paint. You should consider contacting a training mold professional for help.